Sunday, August 18, 2019

"CHRISTMAS GLEAMING" - A CATALOG CASE & HOW TO MAKE AN EASY SHAKER CARD

It seems a bit odd to be playing with Christmas stamps/products today but, like it or not (and I DO like that summer is coming to an end), now is the time to start thinking about holiday projects.  One of my favorite samples in Stampin' Up!'s upcoming Holiday catalog features the Christmas Gleaming stamp set and punches.  It looks a lot like this:


Once I saw the card in the catalog, I knew that I had to make one.  Some of my chosen colors differ from the catalog sample, but isn't it a fun layout?  I also LOVE working with punches because they're just so handy and quick to use.  You'll notice that the sentiment strip extends the right edge of the card and, to facilitate that, the card needed to be cut slimmer than the usual A2.  To know me is to know that I like smaller-than-usual card sizes, so that's just one more reason why this particular card wriggled (or wiggled?) right into my heart.

While I had the stamps and punches on my desk, I played around with stamping a background using one of the large ornament stamps.  That's when the idea of a shaker card came to me!  


It's pretty cool, huh?  Keeping things as simple as possible (except for that one ornament that didn't stamp very straight), I chose to make my shaker layer a small one so that I could be sure and place it perfectly on my card.  I didn't take step-by-step photos, but following is what I did:

1)  Stamp ornament images to cover the 3-3/4" x 5" Whisper White cardstock.
2)  Use the larger Gleaming Ornaments punch to cut one of the stamped shapes, creating a window.
3)  Cut a piece of Window Sheet that's larger than the ornament-shaped window, and adhere it over the punched window (on the back of the cardstock).
4)  On the back of the cardstock, place Firm Foam Adhesive around the shape of the punched window, making sure you leave no gaps.  Place additional Firm Foam Adhesive around the edges of the cardstock.
5)  Place sequins or other shaker bits on top of the Window Sheet.  Carefully peel the liner from all of the Firm Foam Adhesive strips.
6)  Cut a piece of Bermuda Bay cardstock that's approximately 4-1/4" x 5-1/2", and place it over the Whisper White cardstock.  Make sure all of the Whisper White cardstock is covered by the Bermuda Bay cardstock.
7)  Use scissors to trim the Bermuda Bay cardstock so that none of it shows around the perimeters of the Whisper White cardstock.  Your shaker layer is complete!

If the instructions aren't clear OR if you would like for me to post a step-by-step photo tutorial, just leave a comment to let me know.

Additional Stampin' Up! products featured on this card include:  White Baker's Twine, Noble Peacock designer paper, Noble Peacock Foil, and Gold Glimmer paper.  You'll notice in the photo below that I stamped the top of the ornament onto a scrap of Bermuda Bay cardstock, and then used the punch to cut it.  This added a lot to the top of the ornament shaker window!


This is a beautiful and very useful holiday product bundle, and I know that I am going to enjoy it immensely!  These first two cards that I have made are very different in style, and I think that speaks volumes for this bundle's versatility.  The stamp set has great sentiments--not just great but great-looking!  Yesssssssss . . . this one is going to get a lot of use!



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful card! I am trying to locate the gold sequins you used... are they retired or am I just missing them in the catalog?

Regina Andari - workinouttheinks.blogspot.com said...

Thank you, Anonymous!!! The sequins that I used on my shaker card are not from Stampin' Up! I appear to be a sequin collector, and I have amassed my "collection" from a variety of sources. The ones featured on the card in this post can be found here https://tinyurl.com/y2qt74fz. Hopefully, the link will work. I hope you see this reply. Without a name or email addy, I didn't know another way to answer your question. ;-