Wednesday, August 11, 2021

UPCYCLED PROJECT: CANDY BAG ZIPPER POUCH

 


If you're visiting my blog to see a stamped project, I'm afraid you'll be disappointed.  Or . . . if you're someone who enjoys sewing as well as stamping, this post might inspire you to take the cover off of your sewing machine.  My mother told me recently about a Missouri Star Quilt Company video that she thought I might like, and she was right!  I can remember seeing similar projects years ago (long before I started sewing) that were made from cookie and chip bags, and I'm pretty sure I also saw something made from drink pouches.  They might not have been sewn, but they were a creative upcycled project.


For my zipper pouch, I followed MSQC's instructions (here's the video link) and cut apart the candy bag.  The one that I had purchased had a pleated bottom, but it was easy to cut that out.  Also, I didn't tear the top of the bag to remove the candy--I cut a slit in the bottom so the majority of the bag was left intact.  As you can see from the above photo, I used the front and back of the candy bag for my pouch.


Per the video instructions, I applied clear Heat-n-Bond Iron-On Vinyl to the bag, sandwiched each piece (front and back) with batting and lining fabric, and then machine-quilted.  The vinyl that I used was "Gloss" and, as you can see, it left the project quite . . . well . . . glossy.  


As someone who is new to sewing and hasn't been building a fabric "collection" for very long, I was thrilled to find that I had a perfect fabric for the lining.  Just look at how well the colors coordinate with the bag!  I even had the perfect pink zipper, but that wasn't too surprising because I have a drawer full of zippers--probably will never use them all, but I'm gonna try.

So what do you think about this cute zipper pouch?  Are you inspired to make one?




2 comments:

Nancy Dawson said...

WOW gotta do this my grandkids would be amazed! Thanks for sharing.

Nancy Dawson said...

Well I guess you know, I'm gonna be forced to buy some M&M's or 'candy' to do a small one. You are an enabler and inspiration. I saw where a lady made a small one for a change purse for her daughter's backpack for school!