Friday, January 8, 2021

"SNOW FRONT" & "QUITE CURVY" WINTER SCENE BIRTHDAY CARD + TIPS FOR MASCULINE CARDS

 


Today is my husband's birthday, which meant I needed a masculine design.  Are those the most challenging for you?  They are for me!  After taking inventory of my stamp set choices, Snow Front was the winner.  But then . . . I noticed that Quite Curvy had a really pretty curvy birthday sentiment--and a coordinating die to cut it!



When it comes to masculine cards, I have a couple of tips that you might want to employ:

1)  Textured background.  I mean . . . just look at what the textured background adds to the stamped layer on this card.

2)  Rustic trim.  I try to avoid a silky/shiny/glittery ribbon on masculine cards but, if it's just too perfect for the card, I tie it in a knot or a "one-loop bow/knot" such as the one on this card.  I think the best ribbon/trim for a masculine card is something with a natural/organic texture such as the Braided Linen Trim that I used for my husband's card.

3)  Torn edges.  The torn Mossy Meadow and Early Espresso cardstock on my card add a rugged flare.

4)  Crumpled cardstock adds texture, and that's what I did to my sentiment strip.

5)  Wood or metal embellishments.  The metal leaf on my card is from the retired Bird Ballad Trinkets.

6)  You can never go wrong with a woodgrain stamped image or designer paper, such as the layer on my card from the In Good Taste collection.

I hope these tips are beneficial to you!


1 comment:

Stasher said...

I missed this post but like your ideas. Torn edge is an effective technique that I always forget about. I'll have some family guys' birthdays coming up in the next couple months. I'll have to remember these tips.