Saturday, January 30, 2021

ANOTHER "TWISTED HEART" QUILT (WALL-HANGING)

Since my first Twisted Heart wall-hanging didn't show the heart shape very well--and because I really enjoyed the process of making it--I decided to make another one.  For this one, I used a smaller pattern and, when all of the blocks were sewn together and the borders had been added, the project looked like this:



Normally, after having a quilt top such as the one above, it would be ready for a backing, batting, and quilting to make it a complete project.  But . . . with a twister quilt, the above project needs to be cut up in a twisted fashion (block by block) and sewn back together.  For this process, I again used this Twist n Stitch Ruler and this rotary cutter to cut new blocks from the quilt top, arranged them in the same order as the original top (pictured above), and sewed them together.  A backing and batting were added, and following is what the wall-hanging looked like when I finished hand-quilting it:


I was ecstatic to see that the heart shape was very easy to see!  

In case you're interested in the fabric:  Moda Fabrics - Apricot & Ash by Corey Yoder plus a few pieces of muslin.

I kept the quilting simple by stitching near each seam, mainly because I really didn't know another way to quilt it.  My sweet grandmother, who would be so happy to see that I have finally taken a liking to sewing/quilting, would most likely say that I quilted it to death.  She would actually be correct.


Pictured above is the finished wall-hanging displayed on my design board.  My mother and sister helped (and taught) me how to sew the binding on today, and I was amazed at what a quick process that was.  A couple of months ago, I finished a large quilt for my son and dearly hated hand-sewing the binding all around that quilt!  In the end, it looked really nice . . . but I think the binding on my Twisted Heart wall-hanging looks pretty spiffy, too--and it didn't cause me to say ugly words.  Following is another photo (not great, though) on a dark background that better shows the colors in this project:


The thing about twister quilts is that they have a really interesting appearance with their design seemingly made up of pinwheel shapes, and I think they are really fun to make.  I'm just a tad addicted to them, even though the process involves cutting up the first quilt top after cutting, arranging, and sewing the blocks together.  It seems ridiculously destructive, but it's all worthwhile.  I have another--much larger--twister project ready to start, and there are almost 190 blocks that will be cut with this Tiny Twister Tool.  I'm a bit nervous about it because there are so many blocks AND because they will each be a whopping 2-1/4" square.  It will be a patriotic project, and I do love a patriotic project!  Wish me luck!  



2 comments:

Stasher said...

So beautiful and what a treasure! I look forward to seeing the patriotic version!

Nancy Dawson said...

Simply stunning! Send your mom and sister here to show me how to miter the corners. Yours are great as well as the beautiful wall hanging. TFS