Tuesday, April 13, 2021

"DARLING DONKEYS" BIRTHDAY CARD


This past Sunday was my daddy's birthday.  When I thought about what kind of card to make for him, I kept wondering if I should use seashells, sailboat, lighthouse, whiskey theme, die-cut tools, or maybe torn strips of designer paper and a large sentiment.  But then Stampin' Up!'s Darling Donkeys stamp set looked too fun to resist.  Although it's no longer available, it's a keeper and one that I will continue to enjoy.  The card that I ended up making was very heavily inspired by a very creative one designed by Lorri Heiling.  Isn't that one of the best things about making cards . . . there are so many samples to inspire you!  


I never intended for the fence top to be slanted--that was a mishap that took place after all of the donkeys had been stamped, colored, pain-stakingly cut out with scissors, and adhered in place.  Re-making the card would mean re-making (and cutting) all three donkeys, so I decided that this card represents a fence on a hill or a fence that has an issue with sinking.


It seems that there are so many cute ways to use the image of the donkey portrayed above as jumping for joy.  He can be jumping, flying, or kicking, and he can be happy or sassy.  That little guy sitting in the grass looks like he wishes there was something he could do about his crazy, out-of-control friend, but he certainly can't squeeze through the hole in the fence.  He is adorable, though!


In case you're wondering, the cardstock that I used for the card is Smoky Slate.  After embossing the front with the Pinewood Planks embossing folder, I used sponges to color the "fence" with Soft Suede and Smoky Slate ink.  

Even with the mishap, I was very pleased with this card--and daddy was, too!  I have previously sent a couple of donkey cards to my parents, and I figured one more wouldn't hurt.  

No comments: