Friday, October 28, 2016

TWIST & POP-UP CARD FOR LILY

When my sister and I were little, we had the pleasure of a really fun babysitter . . . my mother's cousin, Rita.  She was a really sweet, soft-spoken person who was easy to be around.  When I was a child, I looked up to her as if she was a lot older than me, but she was really just a few years older.  When she was our babysitter, I can remember having a lot of fun with her!  There was one house between our house and a cemetery, and I used to LOVE riding my bike on the narrow roads that looked much more like wide pathways, and Rita would go with us there.  I was never ready to head back home, but she knew exactly how to encourage us to leave--and leave quickly.  She would pretend to be overtaken by an evil spirit and would walk like a person possessed while speaking out loud ("Yes, Master.  I hear and obey.") to a command that only she could hear.  She would tell scary stories and teach us fun songs, such as "The Hearse Song".
 

 
Sadly, Rita passed away a year ago on October 7th and, when I saw on Facebook that today was her daughter's 16th birthday, I was more than happy to make a card for her.  Rita mentioned a few times that Lily enjoyed seeing the handmade cards that I sent and, as I was making this birthday card, it was nice to remember Rita.  I felt that somehow she was watching me work and happy to know that Lily would be receiving such a fun card.  The front of the card is cheery . . .
 
 
But the inside is WOW . . .
 

I can't take credit for the mechanics of this card as it was designed by Melody Lane to be cut with my Cricut Explore.  Isn't it fantastic???  I have made other Twist & Pop-Up cards, but having the machine do the cutting and scoring is a dream.  Besides, there's less chance for error when the machine does the work.  I like that anyone receiving one of these cards will know that there's something inside, but I doubt that anyone would guess that the pop-up is as large as it is.  It seems unbelievable that the pop-up could easily fold and twist to fit inside when the card is closed, but it does.  This is what that looks like:
 

Pretty sweet, huh?

Lily, this card will arrive after your big day, but I hope you know that a lot of precious and positive thoughts of you and your mom kept me company as I worked on it. 
 
 


3 comments:

BERNATH cigale.nathalie@wanadoo.fr said...

LOVED

Anonymous said...

I love this card so much. It is adorable and amazing to give it on some ones bday. Where can i finde the svg file for this card as aI want to make this card for my daugther.

My email is naureen_farrukh@yahoo.com

karen p said...

super cute card how big did you cut the happy birthday