Saturday, March 13, 2021

SEWING PROJECT: WIP BAG W/VINYL FRONT

What's a "WIP" bag?

It's a work-in-progress bag that holds all (or most) of the items needed to complete a project, and the bags that I made have a quilted back and see-through vinyl front.  

I've made 5 of these bags so far, but the two that I'm sharing today were made for my mother and sister.  They're my fourth and fifth versions and, while I'm pretty proud of how they turned out, I don't share them as an example of perfection because they are NOT perfect.  Sewing is still new to me, and sewing vinyl is a tricky thing.  And . . . anyone who has sewn binding knows that it's one of the most dreaded parts of a project that requires it.  

First up is the bag that I made for my mother:


The bag is approximately 12" x 13" with a zippered top to keep items securely inside.  As I mentioned already, the front is see-through vinyl so that the contents can be easily seen without opening the bag.


From the angle of the above photo, you can see down into the bag.  I machine-quilted the back, and you can get a glimpse of the vinyl front.

The second bag (below) was made for my sister:


Again, the back of the bag was machine-quilted.


Of course, a sweet little card was made for my mother and sister, and I tucked the card inside their bag.


The card was kept very simple.  I used a blending brush to apply Balmy Blue ink to the center of the card front.  The stamped images are from the Quite Curvy stamp set.

What do you think of these bags?  They really are quite handy!  I've been carrying one with me when I take my husband for his chemo and infusion visits and have enjoyed having something to do while I wait in the car.



2 comments:

Stasher said...

These bags are really cute. Sawing is something I'd like to pursue probably when I'm retired, when I have more time. I've been accumulating simple sewing projects on my Pinterest board for inspiration. I hope you are enjoying learning this new hobby!

Nancy Dawson said...

Beautiful as usual. Love the design