Monday, April 18, 2022

COLORING AN EMBOSSED BACKGROUND WITH A WATER BRUSH


When Stampin' Up! retired the Country Floral embossing folder, I knew I would have to keep mine because it's just so pretty--and I knew I would continue to use it.  I've never used it the way I did for this card, though, and now I love it even more!  While this project may make you want Country Floral, keep in mind that this technique can be used with other embossing folders that you have.  The technique is quite simple but, before I tell you about it, take a look at the card . . . 


It's so pretty, right?  If you're thinking it's a tedious, time-consuming technique, you're in for a surprise.  After I embossed the cardstock, I used a water brush and ink to color the embossed (raised) areas.  The fun thing about using the water brush is that I was able to achieve dark and light coloring, as well as blend colors for more realistic roses.  I believe I used Calypso Coral, Flirty Flamingo, and Daffodil Delight on them. 


For the purple flowers, I first colored with Highland Heather and then "dotted" random areas with Gorgeous Grape ink.  Other ink colors featured on this card are:  Pear Pizzazz, Old Olive, and Pool Party.  


The above photo does a good job of showing just how beautifully and deep the embossing is on this card.

I used the Bough punch for the leafy stem.  After the above photo was taken, I decided to "fluff" the leaves by gently bending the sides of them with my fingers.  The die-cut bird is from the "Birds & Branches" stamp set and "Birds & More" dies.  Finishing touches to this card were the addition of scattered sequins, a twine bow, and a brush of Wink of Stella on the roses.


Dig through your embossing folders and choose one that embosses deeply so you can try this technique.  I know you want to.  😉


2 comments:

Debbie said...

That is a gorgeous card! Did you have to allow the ink to dry before layering colors? Also love the color combo.

Regina Andari - workinouttheinks.blogspot.com said...

Thank you for your comment, Debbie! To answer your question, I didn't "have" to allow the ink to dry between color changes/layering; however, the ink dries fairly quickly. I normally just try to keep ink moving--whether I'm trying to lighten an area or add a different color to blend. On the purple flowers, I'm pretty sure the lighter color was dry before I dotted the darker color on top, and this would be intentional because I didn't want the dark color to get diluted--or blend. I hope this answers your question.