Saturday, July 4, 2020

PATRIOTIC CARDS FOR INDEPENDENCE DAY

It's Independence Day in the USA and, to celebrate the occasion, I have three patriotic cards to share.  BUT . . . before I do that, I have a special garden flag to share:


How cute is that flag???  My son and Ramsour (the Border Collie on the flag) share a birthday, and this was one of their gifts last month.  Choosing a photo for the flag was very difficult because we have so many excellent choices, but I thought this photo perfectly captured Ram's handsome face and his love for playing outdoors.  The fact that one of his all-time favorite toys was in the picture further sealed the deal!

As for the cards . . . I always enjoy making patriotic cards, but I didn't really have any great ideas this year.  Following are some of my creations:


It's hard to tell from the photo, but the white background was embossed with a woodgrain texture.  I loved the punched banners (from the retired Banner Blast stamp set) and glittery stars, but the card just seemed like it needed something else--even with the silver heat-embossed sentiment and twine.


The above card with the cute hanger was an idea I saw on Pinterest, and I loved the hanger.  However, I wasn't sure that the hanger would stay attached to the card since the bottom of it was just barely resting on Stampin' Dimensionals behind the punched banners.  So, I ditched the idea of using hangers and went with this one:


The final design (shown above) was my absolute favorite!  Can you see the star-embossed background?  I'll probably never let that embossing folder leave this house!  The retired Seaside embossing folder was used to give texture to the Whisper White layer, and I really like the way it mimics stripes that appear to be waving.  Again, the sentiment was heat-embossed with silver embossing powder, which paired nicely with the silver glittery stars.

Wherever you are and whatever you do today--especially if you live in the USA--I hope you find a way to celebrate Independence Day.  There have been a few times in my life when I thought our founding fathers would be so disappointed if they were alive today, and I especially feel this year that their heads would hang very low.  Perhaps the best thing we can do for our country is pray--pray very hard that we learn to live in harmony and just be kind.


1 comment:

mamawcindy said...

Super cute flag and loving your cards. The hanger is so cute. I agree with you. We need to pray,pray,pray for our nation. We are definitely going through some sad times. God bless the U.S.A. Happy Independence Day!
cindys-greencricut