Tuesday, June 15, 2010

DIAPERS AND DIPLOMAS


My husband's cousin was here last Friday (for Guy's Night Out) and, before they left with my son and my brother-in-law,  Cuz said he needed two cards . . . one for a graduation and one for a new baby.  I have a LOT of cards in this room, but I couldn't remember having a baby card on hand and was quite sure I had nothing for a graduate.   While the guys were out, I hurriedly scraped the pits of my brain for design ideas.  I kept coming up empty!  Cuz would probably not believe that, when challenged to create, ideas do NOT flood my brain.  The gate-fold baby card got its start because I've made a few gate-folds lately, and the card actually went together quite fast.  Yes, it's very simple, but I liked it.  When it was time to make the graduation card, I was really stumped because I couldn't think of a single grad-related stamp in this entire room!  And then I remembered a Sizzix embossing folder that I had purchased a few years ago.  Finding it was a totally different crisis--I hardly ever use the old Sizzix brass embossing folders--but it was found at the back of a bottom drawer.  The image embossed beautifully, and I decided that it didn't need a lot of fluff.  The best thing about the grad card is that awesome Stampin' Up! satin ribbon!  It really dressed up the card, don't you think?  And now . . . would you believe that both cards were necessary for "accomplishments" by the same guy?  Yep!  As Cuz so candidly put it, "The graduate knocked up his girlfriend!"

1 comment:

Debbie said...

Really like both these cards - especially the gatefold baby card. I have that stamp set, but haven't used it yet.

I'm a big fan of the style "simply sophisticated". Sometimes on splitcoast I see cards that look like the stamper wanted to try every embellishment or style on one card!