Friday, October 1, 2010

"FEMININE FRIDAYS" FUN TECHNIQUE

For this week's "Feminine Fridays" project, Julie gave me a special "mission" to select another demonstrator's featured project from one of the Stampin' Success magazines that Stampin' Up! sends to demonstrators each month.  The project that I chose for my inspiration didn't come from another demonstrator, but it was a featured technique (Glass Etching with the Big Shot) in the April 2009 issue.  To complete the featured technique as described in the article, you need glass etching medium (which I've used before), and you apply the etching cream to the die-cut negative and then rinse it off after it sets according to the directions for the etching medium you're using and then peel off the vinyl to reveal your beautifully etched design.  What I wanted to use was Stampin' Up!'s clear vinyl to create a faux etched glass design on a glass ornament that I had in my stash of stuff to work with "someday."  Faux etched glass using clear vinyl is the least messy and easiest method of achieving the look of etched glass.  For this ornament, I used parts of Stampin' Up!'s "Tulipe" die, clear vinyl, and Cherry Cobbler seam binding.  I simply die-cut the vinyl and placed the pieces that I wanted to use onto the ornament, and completed the project with the Cherry Cobbler seam binding.  The first time I tried this faux etched glass technique with clear vinyl was with my Cricut Expression, and you can see the cut image that I placed on my bathroom mirror HERE.  When you use glass etching medium, your etched image is permanent but, when you use Stampin' Up!'s clear vinyl, the image can be permanent if you leave it alone or you can peel off the vinyl and re-use the glass item!  How cool is that????  If you feel inspired to try faux etched glass, visit my web site and purchase your choice of products from me!  You'll find a big selection of dies HERE, and the vinyl (aka Decor Elements Sheets) can be found HERE

1 comment:

Julie said...

As predicted, JAW DROPPING GORGEOUS!