Thursday, February 6, 2020

QUILT CARD + AUNT BETTY'S RAG QUILT

At the beginning of last September, I decided to make rag quilts to give to family members for Christmas.  This was quite a huge decision since it would be my first sewing experience.  And so I spent hours choosing flannel fabric online and ordered 32 yards of assorted colors and prints.  I think it was the day after I'd ordered all of that fabric that I was offered a job.  Hmmmm . . . even though the job was part-time, it would tremendously cut into my sewing time.  There were times that it seemed nearly impossible to get all of those quilts made, but I did it!!!  When my mother mentioned to aunt Betty that I'd been feverishly working to complete some quilts, she said she'd like to have one so, of course, I needed to make a quilt for her.  I was fortunate to have enough leftover fabric from the quilts that I'd made for my parents and my sister, and I only needed to buy two yards of the tangerine fabric to fill in the gaps.  Aunt Betty's quilt didn't take long to make, and I delivered it to her last Sunday . . . with a coordinating card, of course.  This is what the quilt and card looked like all folded and ready for wrapping:


The feather and plaid fabric was leftover from the quilt I had made for my parents, and the tangerine and beetles fabric was leftover from my sister's quilt.  

For the card, I used poster board and cardstock held together with a brad in the corner to create a swing/slide opening.  Of course, the front needed a quilty design, and I used designer paper scraps for that.





I apologize for the quality of the photos.  Besides the fact that the tangerine color is difficult to photograph, I could have used more lighting in the room.  

Aunt Betty loved her quilt!  I'm sure she thought she'd NEVER see the day when I'd be giving her something that I had made with a sewing machine--but it happened!

No comments: