Tuesday, September 15, 2020

MY LITTLE SEWING CORNER

I believe my little sewing corner is all set up--at least until I discover that changes are needed.  When I shared photos of the perfect storage unit in this post, I mentioned that I was in the process of setting up a corner of my room for sewing.  I've had a few requests for photos of the finished sewing corner, so here you go:


If you didn't believe me when I said it's a "corner", now you can see for yourself that it is definitely a corner.  It's a small one, but it's also perfect!  So far, I have the perfect amount of space to move around, and it helps that everything is at my fingertips (or within reach).  My MacBook doesn't reside on the table, although I have used it a couple of times to refer to a tutorial.  Going forward, I will probably view YouTube from my TV, which is mounted on a wall across the room.


It just worked out that my homemade design wall (which hangs from what was originally purchased as a quilt hanger/holder) has been hanging on the wall by my new sewing corner for several years.  Presently, it displays some wool applique blocks that have never been turned into finished projects.  That's okay . . . I can still enjoy seeing them.


I have really enjoyed this new corner in my stamp/craft room!  The storage unit that I recently assembled and decorated has been SOOOOO handy!  See that little Janome machine?  It was purchased for the sole purpose (many years ago) of sewing on cardstock.  I can still remember the day it arrived and how I watched a Gina K video that demonstrated how to thread the machine and bobbin and how to use the machine.  When I say that I watched Gina's video, I didn't just watch it one time.  I must have watched it 20 times just trying to get the machine threaded!  I knew NOTHING about a sewing machine back then (didn't know much until about a year ago, actually) and pretty much viewed little J as the closest thing to a toy that sews.  Since that time, little J has done a little sewing on cardstock, a LOT of sitting on various cabinet shelves for a few years, and got to come out of hiding last Fall when I decided that I wanted to make a rag quilt.  I ended up making six (6) rag quilts!  Most of them were made with the Singer machine, but most of the blocks for those quilts were quilted on little J.  Just recently, after watching many videos of skilled ladies sewing through nylon zippers with their sewing machines, I wanted to try it.  I had made two zippered pouches but hand-stitched over the zippers and, since I want to make more zippered projects, I became obsessed with wanting to know what would happen if I sewed over the zipper.  I didn't want to risk damaging the Singer's needle (especially since my mother so graciously let me bring that machine home with me), so I apologized to little J for what could possibly happen to his needle as I guided it to, over, and beyond a zipper.  Well . . . little J surprised me once again by being a mini but mighty machine!  His needle just zipped across that zipper like a knife through warm butter, so he earned his place--and job--in the sewing corner.

Fortunately, I have floor space in front of my sewing table to set up a fabric-cutting table as needed, and I like not having to tie up space for that unless/until it's necessary.  I also have a long countertop by my stamping area (on the other end of the room) that has been handy a few times for cutting fabric, so everything seems to be falling into place.  I still have a LOT to learn about sewing but, for now, I'm enjoying small projects.  God help me if I decide that I need as many fabric choices as I have stamps and card-making supplies!  This room, which used to be a garage, is a good size, but I don't know where I'd store a lot of fabric!

1 comment:

Stasher said...

I like be this! I especially love how the seeing corner is designated with sewn or quilting pieces. I also liked the story of little J. Ive mentally volleyball Ed the purchase of a mini sewing machine for card stock. I still have an ancient Kenmore sewing machine my parents gave me for Christmas one year, with which I've made costumes, mended, and some isolated items in more recent years. Learn more about seeing is on my retirement bucket list!