Monday, June 17, 2019

IT'S A DAD-SHED!!!

In my last blog post, I mentioned that I would soon reveal the Father's Day card that I made for my husband.  This card was 100% inspired by one that I saw on Pinterest created by Mags Woodcock.


Remember when I said that the card probably took a combined 9 hours to make?  Well . . . right from the start, there were no instructions for imperial measurements, so I would have to guess on sizes and see what happened--basically, I was going to actually build a shed.  My plan was to make a 6x6 card but . . . because I'm such a genius and because it was around 3 a.m. when I started this project . . . I messed up on the third cut, which shouldn't have been a cut at all and completely cut the doors off of the dad-shed.  Not to be easily defeated, my card would require hinges that actually worked to hold the doors onto the card.  Creating the A-frame roofline was another challenge.  I can never figure out how to figure out how to get that right.  Yes, I know that's a crazy sentence, and I mean every redundant word of it.  In the beginning of this project, I was only working on the front of the shed--I had no idea where the inside of the card would come from or how it would be attached, and it's just as well that I didn't know those things because the card quickly grew larger than I expected.


The other thing that took time was deciding on the embellishments and details.  Ms. Woodcock had the rusty barrel of wood and firewood stack on her card, and I absolutely loved those details and knew that my card would include the same.  To create the barrel, I used Brushed Silver cardstock that I embossed with the Corrugated embossing folder and then distressed with Black, Cajun Craze, and Soft Suede ink.  The same process was used on the corrugated star to resemble rusted metal.  The letter brads were some that I had in my stash, and I do not know from where they came.  


There had to be a squirrel inside the shed because we've had too many issues with them creating their own access into our storage building.  Ugh!!!  Some people think they're cute little animals--and maybe they are cute--but they are such pests!  


Regarding the size of this card . . . it's approximately 8" x 9".  That's crazy, isn't it?!?!  For a couple of days, I would work on the card, walk away, and come back again to work on it a little more.  My husband loved it, but I'm not sure what he will do with it.  If it comes back to me, I'll happily display it in my stamp room.


2 comments:

Stasher said...

What a wonderful card! Incredible detail and definitely frame-worthy!

Nancy Dawson said...

WOW... very thoughtful and wonderfully put together.