Saturday, June 1, 2019

FREEHAND WATERCOLORED FLOWERS & TIPS ON WHAT TO USE IN THE BEGINNING

For quite some time, I've had a real interest in watercoloring.  Not just using my ink pads, water, and an Aqua Painter to color stamped images--which is a very relaxing and satisfying thing to do--but rather using art brushes and paint to create images.  The only drawback (ha! an artsy pun there) is that I have never had the kind of vision that a real artist needs in order to put to paper what is created in the mind.  Really and truly . . . I can barely draw a stick person and even if it looks decent, I can assure you that the orientation or perspective will be totally off.  I'm not exaggerating.  BUT . . . I started watching Let's Make Art's tutorials.  While I haven't re-created any of their projects, I have been practicing with flowers and leaves.  A few times, I've been pleased.  Many times, I've filled a trash can with rejects.  Every time, though, I have learned something new and helpful, and I call that progress.  Last week, I created what I considered to be an actual piece of watercolor art, and I don't mind admitting that I was proud of it.  If you haven't already looked at the photos, take a look:


Not bad, huh?  Oh, we could critique it all day long, but let's not do that.  Let's just celebrate that a little piece of watercolor paper got turned into a card.  After I finished the flowers, I knew the background needed something, but I was a bit worried about my ability to give it a color wash.  Instead, I chose to just load a brush with water and paint, and flicked some speckles of color.  That added a lot, actually, and then the sequins were a perfect finishing touch.


There are so many paints, brushes, and watercolor paper from which to choose, and you could always purchase a kit from Let's Make Art instead of investing in a lot of products that you're not sure you will enjoy (or need).  I will tell you this, though . . . if you order one of their kits, definitely order extra watercolor paper because you WILL need it!  It's my understanding that the kits don't include very much.  

Although I was tempted to order a lot of new product to start practicing watercolor art, I talked myself down and started pulling products that I already owned.  While I still want to try Dr. Ph. Martin paint, I have been extremely pleased so far with the Koi set that I had on hand.  Following is more info on what I've been using in case you're wondering:

Koi Water Colors (can be purchased HERE) - Just a few swipes of a wet brush is all it takes to pick up the creamy, dreamy colors in this set!  Its small size is easy to store or take on the go, a water brush is included, although I haven't used mine, there are slim sponges on the side for dabbing your brush, and . . . my very favorite thing about this set . . . it includes a palette!!!  NOTE:  One thing that I have learned is that, if you have to choose, it's good to have a set with bright and/or dark colors because you can always lighten them.


Canson 11x15 Cold Press 140 lb. Watercolor Paper (can be purchased HERE) - I have been using this paper for years, and it never disappoints.  It can withstand a generous amount of water, and what I really like to do is cut a few sheets into smaller (think card-size) pieces to work with.


Brushes - I'm afraid I'm unable to give any details about the brushes that I've been using because they have no distinguishing marks.  One of them--the smallest one--is an old one from Stampin' Up! and I believe it is a #2 or very close to it.  Let's Make Art recommends a #2 and #6 for a lot of their kits, and I'm 99% sure that one of my larger brushes is a #6.

So far, these few products are all that I have needed for my watercolor practice.  Oh . . . and a cup of water.


1 comment:

Stasher said...

I love this! I love tulips too and you chose beautiful colors! Looks like your practicing will have some wonderful results!