Monday, June 15, 2020

CUBE BIRTHDAY CARD (POP-UP) FOR MY MOTHER

Today is my mother's birthday, and that calls for a special card, right?  Normally when I try something new, I end up with a few fails but not this time.  I will definitely make more of these pop-up cube cards because they are quite relaxing to make and offer lots of area to let designer paper steal the show.


Isn't this a FUN card???  It appears that I have accidentally thrown away the scrap paper where I wrote my measurements.  I'm terrible about picking up what already appears to be trash and hurriedly jotting down important information, so it's no wonder that I can never readily find "that" piece of paper.  If you want to try making this card, try this . . . for the tallest cube, score a piece of 5-1/2" x 10-1/2" cardstock at 2.5", 5", 7.5", and 10".  If you're using 8.5" x 11" cardstock, you can just keep the 11" width--your flap that holds the cube shape will be wider than necessary, but it won't affect the project one way or another.  I recommend covering all of the interior panels with designer paper BEFORE adhering the cube into shape.  BUT . . . DON'T adhere the paper to the panel that has the 1/2" flap until after you have adhered the cube into shape.  That list strip of paper will cover the flap.  For the two smaller cubes, I scored my 2.5" x 10.5" cardstock the same measurements--2.5", 5", 7.5", and 10",  Fold them into shape, and adhere them to the tall cube, which folds flat and makes this an easy process.  When you are placing designer paper on the cubes, DON'T place it on the two back panels that are behind the sentiment (where I have the "celebrate" label).  You need to adhere the mechanism that allows the sentiment to float between the cubes before covering the back panel of the short cubes with paper.  I didn't take a photo of this part of the construction but, hopefully, the following photos will adequately show you what to do. 

Take two strips that are approximately 1/2" x 2".


Fold the two strips in half.  Keeping the folded edge at the corner, adhere the strips in place.  Obviously, your "corner" will be where your two short cubes meet and not on one cube as shown in the photo below.  After adhering the mechanism strips, carefully adhere your sentiment layer.  This gets tricky because your fingers seem to be in the way.  I recommend using liquid glue so you'll have some time to move the sentiment to make sure it is straight.


Another view of the finished card:


For mailing, this card very neatly folds flat. 


When removed from the envelope, it's easy for the recipient to see how it should stand.  And your sentiment layer just floats nicely between the two short cubes like it should!  The following photo was taken by my mother with the card displayed on her dining table:


Happy, Happy Birthday, Mother!!!


1 comment:

Stasher said...

Very unique and I love that DSP!