Thursday, October 18, 2018

SURPRISE DIORAMA CARD

I was flattered the other night when my mother said that our cousin had called to request that I make a special card for her to give to her Pastor.  I didn't know about Pastor Appreciation Day but, after looking online, I learned that it was this past Sunday, October 14th.  I also learned that some celebrate Pastor Appreciation all during the month of October, so maybe this card won't be a late one after all.  Since time was of the essence, I was in a bit of a rush to get creative.  I couldn't think of any stamps in my room that were religious (other than Christmas or Easter) and, truth be told, I just didn't have available space on my countertop to break out one of the electronic cutters to cut a cross or something else religious that I still had no idea how I would use.  Soooooo . . . I decided to make a sweet card with a Fall theme.  Not just any card.  This would be one of my favorites . . . a Surprise Diorama card . . . with a floating die-cut leaf.


Now I ask you . . . how FUN would it be to receive this card?  Yes, I know that the photo isn't great, and it may be difficult to see that sparkly die-cut leaf that I cut from Stampin' Up!'s Joyous Noel Glimmer Paper.  That glimmer paper is so gorgeous, and it cuts like a dream.  When I first cut the two leaves (the solid one from Mint Macaron cardstock and the glimmery detailed leaf on top), I didn't think about sandwiching the oh, so thin fishing line between the two cuts, so I ended up cutting another detailed glimmery leaf to hide the attachment of the fishing line on the back of the leaf.  This also gave more weight/stability to the floating leaf.  The "Blessings" fabric ribbon is something that I found in my stash, and I adhered that small cut to a torn piece of Vellum cardstock so it wouldn't get lost on that (retired) Petals & Paisleys designer paper.  On the opposite panel, you'll notice that it doesn't look very well attached.  I had planned to leave it removeable so it would be easy for my cousin to write a note/sign the card, but I later decided to go ahead and adhere that layer since the card opens and lays almost flat.


The front of the card is a low-key "looks-nice-but-wait-until-you-see-the-inside" with a Vellum leafy stem (Mayflowers Framelits), glimmery leaf (Seasonal Layers Thinlits), Linen Thread, and "grateful" die-cut sentiment (Seasonal Frame Thinlits, retired).  You'll notice that the front of the card isn't as wide as the inside diorama panel, but it worked out beautifully that when the card is closed, you only see the pretty designer paper along the right edge and none of the oval-shaped window (Stitched Shapes Framelits) on that panel.  Stroke of luck for me but, if you make one of these cards, make sure that the window will be covered by the card front.  ;-)  My card base was 5.5" x 12", and I scored it at 3.5", 7.25", 7.75", and 11.5".


The card lays nearly flat (depending on the bulk of embellishments) for mailing.  In the above photo, you can see that as the card opens, the back panel pops up to reveal the fun 3D diorama design.

I'm ready to make more of these fun cards but . . . first . . . I need to walk this one to the mailbox.



No comments: