Monday, January 21, 2008

GLITTER, GLITTER EVERYWHERE!




I've been playing with glitter and LOVE that stuff! I'm having to learn as I go, but I can tell you a few things:

1) It's best to NOT pour the glitter onto your project (unless it's a huge project) because when you go to pour the leftover glitter back into the container, you end up losing (wasting) some of it because of its static tendency. I like to use a Q-tip (for lack of a better solution, yet undiscovered) to just drop a small amount of glitter where I want it and then just "sweep" it around onto the adhesive. Always remember: a little bit of glitter goes a looooonnnnnggggg way!

2) Which adhesive to use? Well, I've used mini glue dots for small glittered circles, and you want to be sure you don't handle the dot too much or it will lose its tackiness. SU's new Tombow Multi Purpose Adhesive works wonderfully! You can also sprinkle glitter onto Crystal Effects (you might can even stir it into the CE and brush it wherever you want it), and 2-Way Glue is always good. Sticky Strip is yet another option. Speaking of Sticky Strip, I will show you two projects I did using SU's brand new "Sticky Cut Letters." If you can imagine two 12x12 sheets of Sticky Strip that have been die cut with letters, numbers, and a couple of shapes, then you can imagine what the Sticky Cut Letters product is all about. They're awesome because all you do is choose the one you want, apply it to your project, peel off the red liner, and glitter, glitter, glitter!

3) Glittered projects are HARD to photograph, but that sparkly stuff REALLY takes a project to a new, exciting level!

In the photo above, I used the "Nursery Necessities" stamp set, and glittered the edge of the moon with Light Blue glitter from the "Fine Cosmo" stack. The punched star was also glittered, but I used Dazzling Diamonds and 2-Way Glue for that. BTW, the moon was adhered to the project with Stampin' Dimensionals, and the sailboat was outlined with a Going Gray marker.

The heart on this card came from the "Sticky Cut Letters," and I decided to try something different by using two colors (Orchid and Celery) from the "Fine Cosmo Glitter" stack. I'm quite pleased with how it turned out! The sentiment is from the level 1 hostess set, "For a Friend" and the heart in the center of the flower was glittered with Tombow Multi Purpose Adhesive. This card also features Rhinestone Brads (Ice, square) and "From the Garden" (level 1 hostess set). I used a brayer to ink that huge floral background image and then placed the portions of the card that I wanted stamped directly onto the stamp.

The "b" on this card is another one of the "Sticky Cut Letters" that I glittered. I used the Turquoise glitter from the "Fine Cosmo" stack, and it is a BEAUTIFUL blue!!!! I can't say that I love this card, but I do love the "b".

So . . . if you learned anything from this post, it's that you can add glitter to your stampin' supplies, and you have choices of how to use it! As I make other discoveries or hear of other uses, I will be sure to pass them along. BTW, the ribbons used on this card are Tempting Turquoise 1/4" grosgrain and Kraft Taffeta, but the Kraft color is an almost exact match to Sahara Sand.

No comments: