Saturday, January 19, 2008

THINGS AREN'T ALWAYS AS THEY SEEM

While winding down this evening, I found a neat project to try . . . a stack of "letters" where the top envelope opens (like a lid) to reveal a cut-out portion through the other envelopes to reveal a hidden box. Of course, I had to drag out some supplies and see if I could create my own secret box. I began by inserting thin cardboard in the envelopes, sealed them, and then used a Sizzix die to cut the crescent tag shape in each envelope. Since a stack of letters/mail is hardly ever neatly lined up, I altered the placement of the die on the envelopes and then stacked them so that the crescent tag cuts--not the envelopes--were neatly lined up to form the box! The top envelope was decorated to mimic a real one with postage. I typed the 41¢ portion in Word, printed it, used a Cuttlebug die to cut the postage pieces, and then stamped them collage-style. I decided my envelope needed to look distressed, so I sponged some Creamy Caramel ink on it. To create the coffee cup stain, I poured some of Fadi's leftover coffee in a saucer, sat the bottom of a cup in the saucer, and then sat the cup on the corner of the envelope. Voila! A real coffee cup stain! ETA: The box has three beaded bracelets in it.

No comments: