Friday, June 19, 2009

18 YEARS AGO TODAY . . .

. . . I was at Presbyterian Hospital beginning the recovery process from my C-Section and wondering if I knew how to take care of the 8 lb. 12 oz. baby boy that I'd be bringing home. Home . . . a place that would be forever changed; a place that, no matter where it was, it would not be the same without the presence--the laughter, the joys, the fun times, and everything--of that boy. I can't say that I'd rather be recovering from a C-Section today, but I would love to do the past 18 years all over again. Perhaps that's because I know what's in the past, but the future is a blank canvas. 18 years ago, while in recovery, the nurse asked me something about my baby, Jeffrey. Huh? I named him Chadrick! My parents and sister were in the room with me, and they just looked at me like, "Who's Jeffrey?" I didn't remember telling anyone that my baby's name was Jeffrey, nor did I even know a Jeffrey. We still laugh about that sometimes--even Chadrick brings it up now and then. I have been so fortunate to be able to be home with and for Chadrick all of these years, and I've had the opportunity to be a part of scouting, baseball, bowling leagues, guitar lessons, and fun summers of late nights! He's a night owl like me, and he has truly been my very best buddy! Attached is the card that I'm making for Chadrick, but I'm waiting for the Stickles to dry so I can finish the assembly process. Masculine cards are always challenging and even more so for an 18 y/o! Today is a really big day and a perfect one for offering a prayer of thanks and a request for a blank canvas that gets painted with the brightest, happiest colors that make the past 18 years pale in comparison. Happiest of Birthdays and much love to you, Chadrick!!!!

No comments: