Thursday, March 7, 2019

"SHAKE & SPIN" POP-UP CARD FOR MY GREAT-NIECE

It's hard to believe that my great-niece celebrated her 17th birthday this week!  I swear, it doesn't seem that long ago when I kept a box of stamps and ink pads in my stamp room just for her.  She always seemed so interested in making cards, and you know that was pleasing to me.  

I wasn't exactly sure what kind of special card to make for her or colors/designer paper to use, but I decided to make a Spinner Pop-Up.  Last November, I treated myself to a set of dies to make the mechanism for this fun card, but I've barely used them.  This seemed like a perfect occasion!  Once I had the spinner part in place, I just started reaching for papers and stamps to decorate the card.  That's when I decided that a shaker element would be fun for the front, and I just barely had enough space to punch the 2" window for it.  I love it when things just work out like that!

Enough words, right?  Here's the card:
 

In the photo below, notice that the die-cut sea turtle is hiding behind the squares:


And once the card is opened a bit more, the sea turtle spins into view:


Once finished, I saw several things that I would have changed or done differently, but that's pretty typical for diving into a motion card that you've only made a couple of times.  I didn't know that this card was going to turn nautical, but I hope my great-niece (who lives in Texas) likes it.

No comments: